Sunday, January 9, 2011

War paint

 Kinda dry out there today...

Took the Cross Check out today for it's first gravel ride.  Rode for four hours and was pretty happy with how the bike felt.  It rode smooth and climbing was definitely easier than on the MTB.  The brakes were woefully underpowered though.  I think I can tweak the setup to get them to perform better though, so I'm not too worried about them right now.  I was also a little worried about the gearing, but it worked well for me today so I think it'll be fine.

As for me, the ride went alright.  The cramping that plagued me last season made a little bit of a comeback, but it wasn't as bad.  I never actually cramped up, I just had the initial warning twinges.  I'm not too bothered by it though, since it could have been a lot worse.  I didn't bring any brawndo with me and my camel back was straight water, so I wasn't taking in any electrolytes.  Plus, my eating habits over the last month have been, well, not exactly performance enhancing.  I think the weight lifting I've been doing this winter helped keep the muscle twinges from turning into full on leg-locking cramps, so I'll be sticking with that program.  I was also craving solid food during my ride.  Last year solid food didn't agree with me so I stuck to GU and brawndo. Guess I'll have to change up my ride diet, or at least carry more Pop Tarts with me.

No real wildlife sightings today, other than the typical birds you see out in rural IA.  There was one Horn-Blaring Redneck, but I'm not sure if I can count that.  Maybe I will anyway.  Seems fitting...

1 comment:

  1. I think the Cross check is going to suit you quite well. Everyone I know that has one, loves em.

    ReplyDelete